Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dada Manifesto

During the lesson of Dada Manifesto, on December 10, 2012, I chose to do my manifesto using F. Scott-Fitzgerald's work The Great Gatsby. Knowing that Dada "non-art" looked down on literature,  I thought that this would be good for my piece.  I used different fonts and font size for the typographical portion.  I put the letters and words diagonal, horizontal, and vertical to make the piece more spontaneous and abstract. The scissors represent the tearing down of the Literature work and cutting up the book.  I included information about the book.  My triangle using the names "Daisy," "James Gatz," and "Tom Buchanan" represent the love triangle that was present in the book.  The story takes place in Long Island and New York City during the Speakeasy period of the 1920's.  The places where people lived in this fictional story is West Egg and East Egg. Under the word "Literature" is an arrow to point to what the literature is - "The Great Gatsby." There is an arrow through the arrow to make it seem as though the work is not important.

During this lesson, I wasn't sure about what I should do with the book cover nor what else I should add to it, but with the help of Ms. Neal,  I added more information about the work itself and learned how to make the cover of the book look as though it were clipped.  At the conclusion of my piece, I feel confident about my manifesto and like manifestos very much.  It seems fun to me. And it was fun to do.  If I had more time, I would do another manifesto, for I am content with the one that I have now.  But I might change the background from white to an aged pale color for emphasis.  Another way that we could learn about this lesson would be to review more manifesto pieces and the reasoning behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment